Saturday, September 27, 2008

National Seminar on 21st Century Medical Education in India at SMIMS

Hello All,
Came back from the southern tip of the Indian nation, Kanyakumari,
where (at SMIMS) it was my pleasure to deliver a talk on telemedicine.
Other speakers were Dr. Devanayagam who spoke on integration of modern
medicine with Siddha system of Medicine, he made one interesting
observation that modern medicine treats the disease where as ancient
Indian medicine treats the patient. Modern medicine gives same
treatment to all the patients with same disease, while same might not
be the case with Siddha, as each patient is different. Of course there
were (rather was single) voice of dissent. But majority seemed to
agree with Dr. Devanayagam.
Then it was my turn speak, and look at the irony, I was delivering a
talk on I.T. in medicine; and LCD and my laptop did not want to
communicate with each other! But ultimately we resolved the issue and
I went on with my talk. This same presentation can be found at my home
page - http://sachinkale1.tripod.com.
I got the feedback that there was excess of information for the time
allotted (45 min), so I had to keep going for 15 more minutes (I
think!) (I do not know whether it sounded like eternity to the audience!)
But number of people did ask for copy of presentation and they also
thought it was interesting.
Then there was lunch and cultural dance entertainment program. The
girls and boys really danced their way to everyone's heart. You can
also check out little bit one such beautiful dance on Mukunda Mukunda
(Dasavataram song) on my home page.
Then there was a session on microteaching and Problem Based learning.
That evening there was nice dinner at Baywatch theme park at
KanyaKumari. Next day also there were good topics like "Medical
Ethics: Current Scenario" "Economics of health care" and Doctor as a
leader of health Team" But could not attend them as I had important
business back home. But full credit to organisers and especially Dr.
Srinivasa Kannan, for excellant arrangements, as such it was really an experience to remember for a long time.

No comments: